Monday, January 16, 2012

Arabian Nights

Shaherazad and Shahryar
To break up the monotony of reading through law school casebooks, I have been reading chapters of  Arabian Nights as translated by Richard Francis Burton.  My friends found this beautiful copy for me at Barnes & Nobel that has beautiful illustrations reminiscent of ancient Persian and Arab art.
I've heard some of the stories before and seen countless Western remakes of the stories included in the book, but I have yet to read the story in its entirety.  So far, I have concluded that Arabian Nights is basically the Arab/Persian version of Inception.


Each chapter starts off with the main story, between Shahryar and Shaherazad, and then goes into layers of stories within stories within stories.  Included in the 1,001 stories are the famous ones like Aladdin, Haroun al-Rashid, and Nuereddin.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Walgreens Printable Coupons